October is Black Cat Awareness Month
There is no logical reason for this epidemic in shelters across the country, commonly referred to as black cat or black dog syndrome, but there are various reasons we have noticed over time.
They are the least likely to be adopted.
Black pets don’t photograph as well as animals with light colored coats. Since many of our adopters find pets online, we believe that part of this issue stems from online photos.
In Britain and Japan, having a black cat cross your path is considered good luck! Unfortunately, in the U.S. many people associate black cats with witches, Halloween and other negative superstitions that are far from reality. In fact, black cats often suffer cruelty and harm during Halloween season. We recommend keeping all cats indoors to protect them from weather, wild animals and cruelty.
This issue doesn’t apply to only solid black cats. Tuxedo cats, cats with a white chest and sometimes paws, are equally hard to place.
TOP TEN REASONS TO ADOPT A BLACK CAT
The number 1 reason: They are the most lovable
sweetest and very caring cats they are Lucky
protective Never ever bad luck beautiful and
forever devoted to their human parents some
are shy some are friendly outgoing playful
but all and all they make wonderful Fur Children
give black cats a chance in life Adopt a black cat
today Don’t leave them waiting behind in the shelters
while other colored cats get forever homes faster
they deserve a forever home to give them that respect
ADOPT ‘ DON’T SHOP ‘ ADOPT A BLACK CAT OF LOVE
2. Research suggests black cats are friendlier
3. They don’t care what color you are!
4. Black cats are like onyx—a beautiful gem.
5. When you love a black cat luck is on your side
6. A lint brush isn’t required for a black-tie affair
7. Black cats will match any decor
8. Holding a black cat is very slimming
9. You can always find them in the snow
10. You’ll save money on their Halloween costumes !